New Mexico & Texas Truck Accident Lawyers
Commercial Trucking Accident Lawyers
Commercial truck accidents can have devastating, if not deadly, outcomes. Tragically, many of these truck wrecks are at least partially caused by some type of preventable negligence.
In the aftermath of these truck crashes, the lawyers at Buckingham Barrera Law Firm will be ready to fight for survivors’ rights to justice and financial recovery.
Revealing more about commercial truck accidents, as well as victims’ options for justice, the following presents some important answers to commonly asked questions about these crashes, victims’ rights and the recovery process.
While the information below is generally helpful, please contact our truck accident lawyers when you need answers and information regarding your situation and options following any type of truck wreck. Our lawyers are here for you, ready to provide you with answers and effective representation that can make a big difference in your case, recovery and future.
Important Answers about Commercial Truck Accidents
Q – What should I do after a commercial truck accident?
A – Call 911 immediately. Having police respond to the accident scene can help victims get emergency medical care ASAP while facilitating the clearing of the wreckage. It can also mean there is an official investigation and police report for the crash, which may provide important evidence or details later.
Other crucial steps to take whenever possible after a commercial truck crash include (but may not be limited to):
- Seeking medical attention ASAP
- Taking pictures of the crash-related damage
- Getting any witnesses’ contact information
- Reporting the crash to your insurance provider.
- Of course, these actions may not be possible if a truck crash leaves you unconscious, trapped or with severe injuries. If this occurs – or if you are unable to do any of the above, our attorneys can help with these efforts, putting you on the path to recovery and justice
Q – How do I know if I have a case or am entitled to compensation?
A – The best way to find out if you have a truck accident case (and may be entitled to compensation) is to contact a truck accident lawyer at Buckingham Barrera Law Firm. During a free, no obligations initial consultation, our attorneys can inform you of your rights and best options for moving forward.
That being said, however, there may be signs that negligence contributed to your crash (and, consequently, that you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and losses). Examples of these signs can include (and are not limited to):
- A driver being issued a traffic citation or being arrested after the accident
- The nature of the wreckage, including the point of impact for the crash
- Witnesses statements
Q – What compensation am I entitled to after a commercial trucking accident?
A – It depends on the nature, causes and outcomes of a given truck crash. Generally, however, financial recoveries for truck accident victims can include damages for (but not necessarily limited to):
- Emergency health care costs, hospital bills, and ongoing treatment expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Permanent injuries and/or impacts to victims’ quality of life
- Mental suffering
- In rare cases, punitive damages (which are intended to punish the negligent parties and deter them from acting in the same reckless way in the future) may also be available
Q – How soon do truck accident cases have to be filed?
A – The time limits for filing truck accident claims in civil court vary from state to state, with:
- Texas providing two years from the date of the accident for cases to be filed
- New Mexico providing three years from the date of the crash for cases to be filed
These statutes of limitations are strict, and attempting to seek recoveries after these time frames have expired can limit (if not eliminate) the options for compensation after a crash.
Q – How long does it take to resolve a truck accident case?
A – This also depends on the details and complexity of a given case. While our lawyers can provide you with more specific answers, we can generally tell you here that, when it comes to resolving truck accident cases:
- It tends to take at least a few months to resolve these cases
- Cases that can be settled out of court (i.e., before trial) can be resolved much faster than those that require trial proceedings
- More complicated cases, such as those that involve trucking company liability, tend to take longer to resolve
Get More Answers & Effective Help Now: Contact a Truck Accident Attorney at Buckingham Barrera Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been hurt in an accident involving an overloaded truck, you can turn to a truck accident lawyer at Buckingham Barrera Law Firm for more insight about your options for recovery and justice.
For nearly three decades, our trusted lawyers have been working tirelessly to help truck accident victims maximize their financial recoveries so they can reclaim their lives. As fierce litigators with a strong record of success, our lawyers have the skills, knowledge and resources necessary to provide effective representation while bringing your case to the best possible resolution.
Call (432) 570-1919 or email our firm via the contact form to schedule a free consultation with one of our lawyers. When you meet with us, we will provide you with clear answers so that you have the information you need to make the right decision for you and your family.
From offices based in Midland, Texas and Albuquerque, New Mexico, our skilled lawyers provide superior service and effective legal advocacy to injured people throughout the U.S.